The Publisher Tag
This links your Google+ news feed in with the official listing for your business location on the Search Engine Results Pages:
It requires a piece of Google code to be placed in the tag of your website. It looks like this:
<link rel=”publisher” href=”http://www.google.com/+YOUR-GOOGLE-ID”/>
Then, you’ll need to check that your website is linked to your Google+ for business page:
Link to your website from your Google+ page’s profile.
To edit your page profile:
- Click Edit Profile.
- Click Website. You’ll know it’s editable when the colour of the section changes to blue.
- Type your homepage URL. This should match exactly the URL of the page to which you added your Google+ page link in step 1.
- Click Save.
Advantages of the Publisher Tag
- Increased real estate in the Search Engine Results Pages (SERPS)
- Link through to Google+ page
- Extra chances for images/video & links
The Authorship Tag
This tag gives your blog posts the chance of higher Click Through Rates by attaching a thumbnail of the author beside the result in the SERPS. It looks like this:
More recently, Google has been experimenting by reducing the number of articles shown with the author image. Instead, a simple grey text attributing the correct author has been shown.
Advantages of authorship
- Higher CTR as a result of image
- Increased Trust / Transparency
- Link through to author Google+ page > More articles
Use the Rich Snippet Testing Tool to see if your publisher and authorship tags are working ok.