On Tuesday 6th June, Una and Ash from the Search Scientist team attended Digital DNA in St. George’s Market. Digital DNA is Ireland’s leading business and technology event held annually in Belfast. It brings together all industries and sectors to realise the potential of digital technology.
The Marketing Studio had some very interesting topics on the agenda including building your brand on YouTube, the future of online search and the 7cs of digital marketing. Digital experts from organisations including Google, Twitter, YouTube and Adobe discussed the future of digital marketing.
One notable speaker was Ruth McEntee, head of sales in Ireland for YouTube. Ruth has been working at Google for over 11 years. Ruth’s talk focused on how to build a brand in an attention economy. Here are some of the main points from the session:
- The main issue facing brands is that the reach of a video is plentiful but the attention span of consumers is scarce
- Video will account for 80% of all internet traffic by 2020
- Brands need to allow consumers to identify with your brand, videos should showcase who you are and what you stand for
- In 77% of cases YouTube has a higher return on investment than TV
- Ad recall is 45% higher when the sound is on
There were a lot of really interesting sessions throughout the day but here are some of the key takeaway points that we thought you might find useful:
- The 7 C’s of digital marketing:
- Customer – know your customer and get to know them better
- Content – the content creates the story that connects your customers to your brand
- Conversion – the rate at which you turn the people who visit your website into customers
- Context – following and appreciating what’s going on in your customers’ world
- Community – harness the power of your customers by creating advocates
- Convenience – don’t make your audience work to understand your messages
- Cohesion – have a holistic and joined up approach to your messaging
- Delivering a great product is not enough for modern consumers – they want an experience too
- Your website should be an end destination for users and a data source for machine systems
- Think first of your consumer, and your website design will be more fit for their purpose.
- 50% of searches will be voice searches by 2020
At Search Scientist HQ we’re very excited for the future of digital marketing! If you have any questions, please feel free to comment below or drop me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org