Background on Google Shopping Listings
UK e-commerce businesses have been listing their products in Google’s Shopping results (via the Google Merchant Centre) without charge. For many businesses this has brought in considerable sales. As you may be aware by now, Google announced the transition to paying for Google Shopping listings on the 31st May 2012. This has just recently taken effect in the USA and it’s not far off for the UK.
Prepare for Google Shopping Paid Listings
The new paid version of Google Shopping using Google AdWords Product Listing Ads is planned to roll out as follows:
– Already rolled out in the USA, it will next come to the UK , Germany, France, Japan, Italy, Spain, Netherlands, Brazil, Australia and Switzerland.
– The first major change will occur on 13th February 2013, where the appearance of AdWords Product Listing Ads will change. There will be some new commercial formats such as products being displayed in a single unit with larger product images and the ability to refine a search by brand or price, replacing current search results.
– Google Shopping Results will be transitioned to this Paid Product Listing Ads Model by the end of June 2013. If Google product listings are important to your business, be prepared!
What you need to do:
- Link your Google Merchant Centre & AdWords accounts.
- Build your AdWords Product Listing Ad campaign.
- Set your product targets to make sure the right products show up with the right ads in your campaign.
- Maintain your Google Merchant Centre product feeds.
Product Listing Ads tend to work very well, often with a lower cost per click and cost per acquisition than keywords already being advertised on.
Let us know what you think.